Monday, October 31, 2016

Forensic Anthropologist


The true color test showed me that my color is green. Having the color green indicated that I am a deep thinker and I tend to focus and analyze projects and ideas until I can make sense of them. The career I choose is Anthropology but more specifically Forensic Anthropology. This branch of Anthropology has to do with analyzing skeletal remains for criminal cases. In order to actually practice this you must have a Phd and be certified by ABFA (American Board of Forensic Anthropology). During my research I found out that positions for this job are very competitive due to the scarce positions however having extensive knowledge can help out. Some requirements are not lucid but are needed to succeed in this field. It is recommended that you have a knowledge of how to read X-rays and analyze its contents. Forensic Anthropologists usually make a median salary of $54,230. There is also a requirement to get your degree which would be doing fieldwork. In fieldwork you travel to an area or a dig where you get hands on training of excavating remains. There are certain grants given that can fund all your fieldwork expenses. One of the most important things in order to achieve in this career is to obtain a Phd. There is a program in Germany that allows you to obtain the degree free of charge and they bolster you by paying your living expenses. The reason I choose this career is because it's actually my major so when I went in with Cheryl Kroll we looked over classes that can apply to this certain branch of Anthro. We found out that in order for me to transfer I have to complete all the 9 anthropology classes el Camino offers and take statistics. I would have to particularly focus on archaeology and biological anthropology for Forensic anthro. The person I interviewed is Dia Flores she is a cultural anthropology professor at El Camino. I was very inquisitive when asking the professor questions. For her education she had a bachelor's in social science and a masters in anthropology. She was the one that informed about fieldwork and told me about her experience in Sri Lanka. She was a strong advocate of the idea of doing your fieldwork on something Her advice on getting a phd is to look for programs that pay you to earn the degree like the one in Germany. Being a Forensic anthropologist takes about 9 years if completed with a Phd.Overall I think this career matches me because it did show the characteristics that are needed for the job.


No comments:

Post a Comment